To increase the recognition of Leith Links as the home of the earliest recorded rules of golf and one of the game's prominent early locations.
The 13 Rules of Golf of 1744 (from R&A and US Golf Association -2017)
'The principles represented in these 13 Rules fundamentally describe the same sport that is played around the world today.'
We are an unincorporated membership organisation open to all who support the aim of the Society, funded by annual subscriptions and any surplus funds from our events.
Current Committee Members
John Dixon - President & Founder
David Kay - Treasurer
Robin Miller - Secretary LeithRulesGolfSociety@gmail.com
Jim Scanlon MBE (and Chairman Leith Links Community Council)
Charles Urquhart - Webmaster
Recent Past Committee Members
Chair of Statue Committee & Founder - Pat Denzler 2003-2023
Secretary - Brian Graham 2003-2021
President - The Late Douglas Foulis 2003-2017
Following successful public events on Leith Links in 2002, Leith Rules Golf Society was formed with 90 founder members on Monday 19 March 2003 to celebrate Leith Links' golfing heritage.
From a meeting in late 2001 at Leith Cricket Club initiated by Tim Bell (Chairman of Leith Initiative for Tourism) with Pat Denzler (President of Leith Chamber of Commerce) and John Dixon (of Georgian Antiques) and other Leith supporters, it was agreed to organise a celebration of Links golf to coincide with The Open Golf Champiomship, just 20 miles away at Muirfield Club in East Lothian, in July 2002.
Councillor Ricky Henderson and Graham Croucher of City of Edinburgh Council (Culture and Leisure) supported with funding, arranged permission for the event, as well organising grass-cutting and publicity. Cornelius Waugh of Leith Cricket Club (as the largest 'occupier' of park space), with John Dixon of Georgian Antiques, introduced many supportive golfing contacts such as the late Archie Baird (of Gullane Golf Museum), Philip Knowles (author, historian and golf archivist at Royal Burgess GC) and Jim Forson (British Golf Collectors Society).
2002 Open Day - John Still and Archie Baird
The idea of a Hickory Open on the weekend of 12-13 July 2002 is thought to have originated with Jim Forson, working with John Dixon of Georgian Antiques who lent hickory clubs. Jim Forson was the Hickory Organiser with Saturday attracting the most entries and given hospitality by the ladies of the Cricket Club. With qualifying rounds to a Final, they played 5 holes with traditional equipment in traditional dress and was judged a great success - the first competition in recent times.
As well as supporting the Hickory Open, The Society held its first Open Day on Sunday 13th July 2002 for the public to play the same 1744 Course, have coaching instruction and view an exhibition of golfing equipment, much of it supplied by Georgian Antiques. Across all days, about 400 golfers and members of the public took part. The renewal of Links golf had begun and led to the founding of the Society in 2003.
Jim Forson, Hickory Open Organiser, with Pat Denzler and Tim Bell
In 2002, a light-hearted moment in traditional dress on Leith Links, from left, John Dixon, Archie Baird, Philip Knowles and John Still.
A Round of The Links